Here at work on a slow Friday. I am still surprised at how slow it is here on campus. Summer school is going on, so not sure where the students are.
More Alabama stories to tell:
Okay, as mentioned before I was sick for the first part of my vacation. I started feeling well enough to venture out on Tuesday. Micah and I headed south to Hale County to see some buildings that were designed by the Rural Studio of Auburn University. Samuel Mockbee was the architect that started the program, and Micah thinks very highly of him. I checked the weather and it was supposed to be rain-free. Think again. It was a drenching thunderstorm the entire trip to Akron. We shot a few photos of the community center there, even in the rain. Eventually the rain subsided and we continued on our little expedition. We did not see all of the buildings, but were happy with the opportunity to see the ones we did. If you make your way to the Black Belt, definitely look for these buildings. Very interesting.
On Wednesday, we just hung around my parent's house (they were both at work) and relaxed. We did head out later in the afternoon to meet Amy in Birmingham. It was great to see her and Chris. We just sat and ate a late lunch at the Macaroni Grill. Decent fare, but a chain so I can't say too many good things. I guess I shouldn't really link to that. They don't need any more publicity.
Thursday was our last full day in Tuscaloosa, so we went out to my grandmother's place and visited with her, Kenneth, Steve, & Veda Ann. It was a nice visit. Yet another thunderstorm rolled in and after that was finished we headed back to my parents'.
Friday we left around 8 a.m. and kept driving until Harrisonburg, VA. It was around 6:30 p.m. and we decided to stop, sit down and eat, and get a hotel. Have I mentioned that Zero was with us on this trip? He stayed in the hotel and we went to the elegant Chili's across the street. I have to say this hotel was a real dump. Never stay at the EconoLodge in Harrisonburg. It was $75 too! We were tired and didn't want to drive around looking for a better deal. I thought I would warn others.
more. . .
No comments:
Post a Comment